I’ve been working with Flex for a while now, giving my thoughts here and there about this and that. (vague enough for ya?). However, I had yet to build a Flex app, because there never seemed to be time.
So, a few weeks ago, I decided to make time in my schedule to learn Flex for real. Other than go to meetings, I did virtually nothing else.
I had three goals:
- Learn Flex.
- Prototype ideas for improvements to the Flex framework.
- Think about what makes for a good RIA.
For this first project, I wanted to pick a project that was “real” enough that I would learn what Flex development was all about. I wanted something that had a heavy focus on usability, involved data and effects, and had potential scalability issues to consider.
I settled on building a prototype social music tagging site. The idea is as follows:
- You create an account and optionally upload your iTunes music library file as a starting point.
- The interface allows you to rate and tag your albums.
- You can find out about new music by looking for other users with similar albums, or by sorting albums by tag.
- Later on, I would love to add things like reviews, top 10 lists, etc.
BTW, if something like the above already exists, I’d love to hear about it. Not that it would stop me from building out my prototype. :-)